Current:Home > MyAbercrombie & Fitch slapped with lawsuit alleging sexual abuse of its male models under former CEO -Visionary Wealth Guides
Abercrombie & Fitch slapped with lawsuit alleging sexual abuse of its male models under former CEO
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 14:03:03
NEW YORK (AP) — A former model for Abercrombie & Fitch on Friday sued the fashion retailer, alleging it allowed its former CEO Mike Jeffries to run a sex-trafficking organization during his 22-year tenure.
Jeffries, who left Abercrombie in 2014, converted the chain from an struggling retailer of hunting apparel to a seller of must-have teen clothing. But he faced criticism for the company’s sexualized marketing, including billboards and beefy models that alienated potential customers who didn’t fit into its image.
The lawsuit comes after a BBC report earlier this month that raised similar allegations against Jeffries and his partner Matthew Smith.
The lawsuit, filed by David Bradberry in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, alleges Jeffries had modeling scouts scouring the internet and elsewhere to identify attractive young men seeking to be the next face of Abercrombie. Often these prospective models became sex-trafficking victims, sent to New York and abroad and abused by Jeffries and other men, all under the guise that they were being recruited to become the next Abercrombie model, the lawsuit contends.
“Jeffries was so important to the profitability of the brand that he was given complete autonomy to perform his role as CEO however he saw fit, including through the use of blatant international sex-trafficking and abuse of prospective Abercrombie models,” the suit alleges.
The lawsuit names Jeffries, Smith, and the Jeffries Family Office LLC. It seeks class-action status and estimates that over a hundred young models, in addition to Bradberry, were victims.
A&F, based in New Albany, Ohio, declined to comment Friday. Earlier this month, the retailer said that it had hired an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation into the issues raised by the BBC. It said the company’s current leaders and board of directors were not aware of the allegations of Jeffries’ sexual misconduct.
“For close to a decade, a new executive leadership team and refreshed board of directors have successfully transformed our brands and culture into the values-driven organization we are today,” the company said. “We have zero tolerance for abuse, harassment or discrimination of any kind.”
Jeffries’ attorney, Brian Bieber, a shareholder with the Miami law firm of GrayRobinson, said in a statement that Jeffries “will not comment in the press on this new lawsuit, as he has likewise chosen not to regarding litigation in the past. ”
“The courtroom is where we will deal with this matter,” Bieber added.
The Jeffries Family Office didn’t respond immediately for requests for comment.
______
Follow Anne D’Innocenzio: http://twitter.com/ADInnocenzio
veryGood! (33)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- All the Country Couples Enjoying Date Night at the 2024 People’s Choice Country Awards
- Stevie Nicks releases rousing feminist anthem: 'May be the most important thing I ever do'
- Madonna’s Stepmother Joan Ciccone Dead at 81 After Cancer Battle
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Miranda Lambert’s Advice to Her Younger Self Is So Relatable
- NASCAR Cup Series playoffs enter Round of 12: Where drivers stand before Kansas race
- As many forests fail to recover from wildfires, replanting efforts face huge odds -- and obstacles
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose announces retirement
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Trump favors huge new tariffs. What are they, and how do they work?
- Top Haitian official denounces false claim, repeated by Trump, that immigrants are eating pets
- Tori Spelling's longtime manager wants '60 Minutes' investigation after 'DWTS' elimination
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Jury deliberation begins in the trial over Memphis rapper Young Dolph’s killing
- Kristin Cavallari and Boyfriend Mark Estes Double Date With This Former The Hills Costar
- Lana Del Rey obtains marriage license with Louisiana alligator tour guide Jeremy Dufrene
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Rex Ryan suggests he turned down Cowboys DC job: 'They couldn't pony up the money'
The Best New Beauty Products September 2024: Game-Changing Hair Identifier Spray & $3 Items You Need Now
How Messi's Inter Miami qualified for the 2025 Concacaf Champions Cup
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
New judge sets expectations in case against man charged with killing 4 Idaho university students
How RHOC's Shannon Beador Is Handling Ex John Jansson's Engagement to Her Costar Alexis Bellino
Montana man arrested for intentionally running a motorcycle off the road and killing the driver